The Department of English offers numerous merit scholarships totaling more than $100,000 in an annual competition in the spring. These scholarships recognize and reward outstanding achievements by English, Creative Writing, or Teaching of English students.
In order to be eligible for these scholarships, an applicant must:
- be an English department major planning to be enrolled for at least one semester of the coming academic year
- at the time of application have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5/4.0 overall
- at the time of application have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.75/4.0 in English and/or Creative Writing courses taken at Illinois
- by the end of the spring semester in which you are applying, have completed at Illinois a minimum of four English, Creative Writing, and/or Rhetoric courses beyond Composition I
- remain in good standing with the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences throughout the application process
Stage two applications are due in electronic form by 5 pm on Friday, April 17, 2020 to Nancy Rahn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The award amounts vary widely; for more information, please contact our Director of Undergraduate Studies, Andrea Stevens.
- Delmar G. Cooke Scholarship
- Charles S. Montooth Scholarship
- Carolyn Joyce Pape Award
- Emily J. Friedrich Memorial Scholarship
- Robert D. Novak Scholarship
- Miles W. O'Loughlin III Scholarship
- Raymond Seng Scholarship
- Paul J. Cooke English Award
- Tessa M. Oberg Scholarship
- Wallace Stevens Memorial Prize
- Ethel F. Crate Scholarship
- J. N. Hook Scholarship
- Alfred & Norma Tanner Snap Scholarship
- E. Veda Streitmatter & Arlys Streitmatter Conrad Scholarship
- Leo B. Kneer Scholarship
- Smalley Prize for Outstanding Honors Achievement awarded to the best English Honors Essay
Kevin T. Early Memorial Scholarship
Awarded for freshman poetry writing; open to students in all majors. Upcoming deadline: November 1, 2019. Please see guidelines for more information.
Creative Writing Competitions
The competitions listed below for creative writing are held in the spring (deadline TBA). For more information, contact the Associate Director of Creative Writing, Steve Davenport.
John L. Rainey Prize
Folger Adam Jr. Prize
Josephine M. Bresee Memorial Prize
American Academy of Poets Prize
Leah Trelease Prize
Charles and Susan Shattuck Prize