608 S Wright
Urbana, IL 61801
(Office Hours for Fall 2022 are held over Zoom and by appointment)
The Romantic Era, The Victorian Era, The Gothic, 19th Century British Literature, Memoir and Autobiography, Visual Culture of the Romantic & Victorian Era, Student Activism, Digital Humanities Collection Development, Metadata Development, Antiquarianism, Historical Maps, Basic Writing Instruction
- PhD English, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- M.A. English, Old Dominion University
- B.A. English, Roanoke College
Awards and Honors
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Humanities Council Teaching Excellence Award, 2014.
- English Department Undergraduate Teaching Award, 2014.
- Undergraduate Rhetoric Program Award for Excellence in Writing Instruction, 2009.
- ENGL 207: Romantic Literature & Culture (FA 2016, SP 2011)
- ENGL 208: Victorian Literature and Culture (SP 2017, SP 2013, SP 2012)
- ENGL 115: Intro To English Literature (FA 2010, FA 2008)
- ENGL 109: Intro To Fiction (Advanced Composition) (SP 2019, FA 2013, FA 2011)
- RHET 233: The Rhetoric of Student Activism (Advanced Composition) (FA 2018, SP2018, FA 2017, SP 2016)
- RHET 233: The Writing of Memory (Advanced Composition) (FA 2013, SP 2011, FA 2010, SP 2010, FA 2009, SP 2009, FA 2008)
- RHET 105 Writing and Research (FA2022, SP 2022, FA 2021, SP 2021, FA 2020, FA 2019, SP 2019, FA 2018, SP 2018, FA 2017, SP 2017, FA 2016, SP 2016, FA 2015)
- RHET 104 (SP 2010)
- RHET 102 (SP 2014, SP 2008)
- RHET 101 (FA 2007)
- Consequential Ground: Memorials of the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars in Romantic Culture 1793-1877. http://hdl.handle.net/2142/106186
“Introduction: I Write. Who, me?” I Write: A Writing Guide for the Rhetoric Program at the University of Illinois. 5th Ed. Urbana: The University of Illinois, 2022.
- Underwood, Ted, and Jordan Sellers. "The Longue Durée of Literary Prestige." Modern Language Quarterly 77.3 (2016): 321-344. https://doi.org/10.1215/00267929-3570634
- "Zero Ground: Mapping Maritime Commemoration in the Age of Nelson." European Romantic Review 26.6 (2015): 679-698. https://doi.org/10.1080/10509585.2015.1092082
- Underwood, Ted, and Jordan Sellers. "The Emergence of Literary Diction." Journal of Digital Humanities 1.2 (2012): 21 Aug. 2012. http://journalofdigitalhumanities.org/1-2/the-emergence-of-literary-diction-by-ted-underwood-and-jordan-sellers/
DIGITAL HUMANITIES CORPUS DEVELOPMENT
- Pulp Fiction Corpus, a digital corpus of selected short stories, novels, and serialized fiction published in pulp magazines 1897-1939, 2015.
- Literary Language and Literary Prestige in the Long Nineteenth Century (A corpus of literary works reviewed by elite literary magazines), 2015.
- Illinois 19th-Century Corpus (1800-1923), a digital corpus of roughly 4000 volumes across genre, 2011-2012.