608 S Wright St.
Urbana, IL 61801
I study nineteenth-century American literature, book history, and transgender studies. I am also a letterpress printer and restore nineteenth-century printing presses.
- Nineteenth Century American Literature, Book History, and Print Culture
- Transgender and Queer Studies
My dissertation applies a transgender lens to books as everyday objects that impact trans life by investigating how the book’s materiality—from the binding to typography—helped construct the boundaries that define normative and nonnormative gender in nineteenth-century America.
MA English Literature, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2018
MA Gender & Women's Studies, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2016
BFA School of the Art Institute of Chicago, 2001
2022-2023 Graduate Student Fellow, Humanities Research Institute, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
2021 Smalley Fellowship, Department of English, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Summer Research)
2021 California Rare Book School Scholarship
2021 Sambrook Award, London Rare Book School
2019 President's Diversity in Research Travel Award, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
2019 Caxton Club Scholarship, Rare Book School, University of Virginia
2016-2017 Kirkpatrick Fellowship, Department of English, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Awards and Honors
2020 College of Liberal Arts & Sciences Award for Excellence in Teaching
2020 Tulane University Purchase Price, College Book Arts Association Members' Juried Exhibition
2020 College Book Arts Association Student Member Prize, CBAA Members' Juried Exhibition
2019 English Department Undergraduate Teaching Award
As Instructor of Record:
- ENG 121: Introduction to Comics [in Theory and Practice]
- ENG 250: Nineteenth Century American Fiction [Bodies, Books, Genders, and Genres]
- ENG 325: Topics in LGBT Literature and Film [Transgender Literature and Cultural Production]
- RHET 105: Research and Writing
As Teaching Assistant:
- ENG 255: Early American Literature and Culture
- GWS 202: Sexualities
Additional Campus Affiliations
Gender & Women's Studies (Queer Studies Minor)
Unit for Criticism & Interpretive Theory
Graduate Employees' Organization IFT/AFT Local 6300
- "'Calling [herself] Eleanor': Gender Labor and Becoming a Woman in the Rykener Case." Medieval Feminist Forum: A Journal of Gender and Sexuality 55, no. 1 (2019) : 249-266.
- "'You deciphered me and now I am hard to read': How the Body is a Book." Library Trends 64.4 (2016): 741-755.
- "Transgender and Trans Health 101." Women’s Health: Readings on Social, Economic, and Political Issues. Ed. Cabell H. Gathman. Dubuque, IA: Kendall-Hunt Publishing, 2016. 81-87.
- "Cis, or Cisgender." Global Encyclopedia of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ) History. Farmington Hills, MI: Charles Scribner's Sons, 2019.