- Economic and political approaches to Victorian fiction
- History of economic theory in Europe and America; utopian novels
- History of urban planning; narrative theory; irony and comedy
- An affiliate of the Unit for Criticism and Interpretive Theory, the Program in Comparative and World Literature, and the Department of German.
- An affiliate of the Unit for Criticism and Interpretive Theory, the Program in Comparative and World Literature, and the Department of German. Blog posts are cross-posted at arcade.stanford.edu.
- PhD (Comparative Literature): Cornell 1998.
- BA: Yale 1990.
Grad Courses: "The Industrial Novel and the Rise of Cultural Studies (2006), "Sexuality and Empire in the Fin de Siècle" (2009), "Victorian Socialisms" (2011), "Machine Dreams: Victorian Utopias" (2012), "The Best Recent Criticism of Victorian Novels" (2015), "Victorian Political Radicalism" (2017). Selected Undergrad Courses: "Dickens and the Victorian City," "Pulp Fictions of the 1890s," "Tales of Economic Disaster."
Additional Campus Affiliations
Associate Professor, Unit for Criticism and Interpretive Theory
Associate Professor, Program in Comparative and World Literature
Associate Professor, Germanic Languages and Literatures
Courtemanche, E. (2019). Beyond urgency: Shadow presentisms, hinge points, and victorian historicisms. Criticism, 61(4), 461-479. https://doi.org/10.13110/criticism.61.4.0461
Courtemanche, E. (2016). Games that Make Nothing Happen: H. G. Wells and the Collapse of Literature: Review of S.J. James' Maps of Utopia: H.G. Wells, Modernity, and the End of Culture. Journal of Victorian Culture, 21(2), 246-249. https://doi.org/10.1080/13555502.2015.1124583
Courtemanche, E. (2015). Class as Literary Style: Review of The Bourgeois: Between History and Literature by Franco Moretti. . Contrivers' Review. http://www.contrivers.org/reviews/14/
Courtemanche, E. (2015). Fabian Society. In D. F. Felluga (Ed.), The Encyclopedia of Victorian Literature Wiley-Blackwell. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781118405376.wbevl113
Courtemanche, E. (Author). (2015). Going to Playland?. Web publication/site, Public Books. http://www.publicbooks.org/going-to-playland/